Friday, May 27, 2005

Big Brother Is Shopping

I walked into the local QFC supermarket yesterday to buy a couple of things, and I forgot to bring the @#$%&^!* shoppers card. This meant that I had to pay about a fifteen percent penalty. The checker tried to find me in the system, but since I had never filled out or turned in the personal info form, she really wasn't likely to find me. This all reminded me how much I really hate this whole concept. It just results in higher prices. Unfortunately, this particular store is a quarter the distance from my house as the nearest no-card store, so I fudge and do some small purchases there.

Fortunately, there may be some hope of killing the system. Jill Crowson of Bellevue, WA is suing QFC, a local chain for failing to notify her when she bought hamburger meat from a batch that was subsequently recalled for a Mad Cow scare. QFC didn't notify anyone. So Ms. Crowson is making a case that having collected all this intrusive data on our habits, the company has a duty to act when something like this recall comes along. Fear of lawsuits may kill the card system where lazy consumers haven't. I can hope.

3 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Blogger Hagfish said...

There's a chain here in PA, Giant, where you must use your so-called Bonus card in order to use the self-checkout. Now there's irony for you.

Wal-Mart is a big piggy, but their grocery section is one of the best I've ever shopped in. No extra bullshit, because the store is full of extra bullshit. Just nice well stocked ailes with actual food things.

Because the cash registers serve all departments, NO CARD. Yes. Is Good.

I hate the spying card system. Same like you.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Hagfish said...

Can't spel aisles. 2:35 AM. Great excuse. Cheers.

 
At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Тома said...

Веселье здесь hotxxx.mobi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home